Re: [Amps] 47 Ohm 5 watt

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 47 Ohm 5 watt
From: Bryan Swadener via Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2018 22:02:43 +0000 (UTC)
The 2W CC resistors sold by eBay seller 'bigsmythe74' are Allen-Bradley
RCR-series. IMO, that's as good as they get. The exact value isn't terribly
critical -- between about 27Ω and 100Ω is OK (to kill the Q of the inductor).
Sorting on price, he has 56Ω/±10%/2W for $1.00/each + $3.50/order shipping (see
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400880759592).
The cause of soaring CC resistor value is related to moisture absorption over
time. In a past life, I was doing production test/repair of aviation electronic
CCAs. A certain board used a 1MΩ/¼W CC resistor in two places. In-circuit
pretesting invariably showed them to be around 1.4MΩ. Except for soldering,
they were never above room temperature. The resistors were alternates to the
first choice (metal film). I expect they were trying to use the CC resistors
up. They were... we changed them to the MF before they saw power.
vy 73, Bryan WA7PRC