[Amps] Solid state amp high SWR distortion

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Solid state amp high SWR distortion
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2018 20:48:48 -0700
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2018 23:12:50 -0500
From: John Simmons <jasimmons@pinewooddata.com>
To: Amps@contesting.com

<I'm converting from a tube amp to a solid state amp. I've seen
<references to increased distortion caused by a solid state amp when the
<SWR is high, not high enough to cause reduced (foldback) power. Can
<anyone point me to hard numbers (not folklore) on this? For example, say
<the amp's IMD is -40 at 1:1 but increases to -35 at 1.7:1. Do you need
<an antenna tuner is your SWR is less than 1.5:1?

<73,
<-John NI0K

###  The fellow who 1st brought that up was  K9YC..and that was the 1st I had
heard  of the
increased IMD  vs  swr.   Dunno if that pertains to just the KPA-500  amp..or
all of them.

##  Hopefully   K9YC can chime in.

Jim   VE7RF