Re: [Amps] Alpha 87A problems

To: "Herbert Schoenbohm" <herbert.schoenbohm@gmail.com>, "Amps group" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 87A problems
From: <fortra@siol.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2018 16:34:08 +0200
Hi Herb,

try with those guys:
https://islandamplifier.com/
bought some spares for my Alpha 77dx

and
www.df3cb.com/alpha87a/documentation/

hope, you will get it right :)

Nermin S58DX

-----Izvorno sporočilo----- From: Herbert Schoenbohm
Sent: Saturday, September 29, 2018 2:27 PM
To: Amps group
Subject: [Amps] Alpha 87A problems

My Alpha 87A went to Alpha systems in Colorado for repair of Fault 16 that
was occurring within a few seconds of turning it on.  After paying $1500
for their repair it was returned and immediately when hooked up it showed
the same problem. After numerous exchanges with Alpha systems ( and they
said they never experienced Fault 16) and with me checking everything like
RF deck, removing HV from the power supply, reseating connectors all had
negative results.    I have come to the point where I want to send it back
to Colorado.  Unfortunately the past week, they have been unresponsive to
any of my email trying to make the arrangements.  This leads me to the
conclusion that they are not interested in doing any more repairs for me.
In two years I have spent over $3000 in the repair of this unit and should
have probably bought a new solid-state amplifier instead.

  1. Any suggestions would be appreciated on the Fault 16 problem.
  2. Is there any other place that does repairs on the Alpha 87A?
  3. Are there any 87A users that have had similar problems?

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ