[Amps] cathode driven tetrodes

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] cathode driven tetrodes
From: John Lyles <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2018 00:23:43 -0700
In the early 1980s while I worked for Broadcast Electronics in Quincy, I ran a series of tests using a 4CX3500A, which is a shortened version of 4CX5000A (lower inductance connections and higher upper frequency). Using the same output circuit (cavity) I built two input matching circuits, one for common cathode and one for common (grounded) grid operation. On both the screen grid was held at a constant DC bias, but was well bypassed (and neutralized) for RF. This was at 100 MHz. The GG configuration had a wider overall bandwidth, which was expected and was the point of the experiment, to prove whether this was more beneficial for an FM transmitter that carried stereo 38 KHz subcarrier and subsidiary communication (SCA) on a higher frequency subcarrier. The power gain was about 3 dB less with GG, Other than this, there was no unexpected consequence or change in stability. Since this was a class C amplifier, I biased the grid toward cutoff at all times. So the power gain was not as high as could be in AB1 or B.

These days all of the high powered tetrode amplifiers that I build at work are grounded grid, cathode driven. These giant tubes are intended to be run this way, with the grids both biased at normal voltage but well decoupled from RF so that they are at RF ground. The RF voltage is all applied to the cathode to grid resonator. Power gain is typically 14 dB in class B, and the input tuning is very broad, and insensitive to thermal changes (such as change of Cg-k as the tube heats up). The input Z is quite low. I use concentric coaxial cavities for input and output circuits. Neutralization is still required. For grid driven (GK) mode, it would be too easy for a big bottle to break into oscillation I believe. Lots of interelectrode capacitance there.

An internal paper can be found on the BE website maybe, in the white papers but I think you have to create a password. A summary of the work is also included in the 7th edition (1985) of the National Broadcast Association handbook, which can be found starting around page 88 here:

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-NAB-Engineering/NAB-7th-Edition/3-NAB-7th.pdf

Since this work was not for a linear amplifier, as they say, your mileage may vary....

73

John

K5PRO