Re: [Amps] Alpha 76A drive levels...

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 76A drive levels...
From: Martin Sole <hs0zed@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2018 22:01:10 +0700
Hi,

Is that with the HT switch in the CW or SSB position?. If the CW position it sounds about right. If in the SSB position and HV, Ip and Ig all look normal then I can only assume he has an amp without the low drive mod. Google Alpha low drive mod and I'm sure you will be rewarded.

Also do the math. Two 8874's, that's two tubes each with 400 watts of anode dissipation at max as per the specs. So 800 watts dissipation total. If the amp is 60% efficient then that 800 watts is the 40% left over as heat from the total P-in. 1200 watts out should be the maximum. Unless, a) efficiency is more than 60%, b) the tubes are not 8874, rather 3CX800.

Remember also that these are amps designed for key down US legal limit when US legal limit was NOT 1500 watts out!

Martin, HS0ZED.