[Amps] SB-220 tick,tick,tick

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] SB-220 tick,tick,tick
From: Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2019 09:02:21 -0700
I have an SB-220, of unknown lineage.

While using it, I noticed that on receive, listening on my receiver, I was hearing a strong tick, tick, tick sound, about 3 ticks per second. With a little experimentation, I noticed the tick rate was higher in the SSB position than the CW position. At audio frequencies, I localized the source to the HV area of the amp. My guess would be filter capacitors, rectifiers or equalizing resistors. A few more data points - the equalizing resistors are not the original - they are 100K, rather than the original 30K. The electrolytics are Nichicon 200uF, 450 WV, 85 degree C. That's probably not original, either. I don't see any cracked resistors. Best course of action ? Replace the electrolytics ?

73,
Steve, N2IC