[Amps] Alpha 89 ALC question

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Alpha 89 ALC question
From: Floyd Sense <k8ac@k8ac.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2019 14:04:41 -0500
Please - this is a simple technical question about the Alpha 89. No lectures about the evils of using ALC, etc.

I recently acquired an Alpha 89 amp from the original owner and am checking it out thoroughly.  The only problem I see is that no ALC voltage appears at the ALC jack on the rear panel, regardless of the setting of the rear panel ALC pot.  It seems to me that the ALC voltage is developed by U1C on the power supply board and that it's based on the grid current which must be measured between the -HV rail and ground.  (Haven't been able to discern exactly where that is sourced in the schematic).  At any rate, the grid current monitoring obviously works as the Grid Current LED meter reads properly.  But, no ALC voltage at all with grid current showing up to around 100 ma on the meter.  I would think that I should see a gradually increasing ALC voltage (in the negative direction) as the grid current increases.  Can anyone familiar with the circuit comment?  Thanks for your help.

73, Floyd - K8AC