Re: [Amps] Henry 2K desktop amp

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Henry 2K desktop amp
From: Jim Durham <jimdur@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2019 13:20:16 -0400
On 6/27/19 11:46 AM, Ted Rachwal wrote:
All of a sudden I have a very high swr between the rig and amp...3:1.... I notice one of the 3500Z tubes is not lit.  I'm wondering if I can pull the unlit 3-500Z and try the amp to see if the issue is the tube or some other part.  I have pulled a suspect 572b and 811 in the Ameritron series of amp and all was ok but wonder if the remaining 3-500Z would be damaged if I tried this trick?  Anyone have a thought here?

73,

Ted K8AQM

Ted,

Adding to my previous post... I got curious about the original amp and managed to find a schematic for it.

The tube filaments are in  parallel on the original 2K or 2KD or 2KR, so you could run on one tube, but the L/C ratio, etc, would be incorrect. If you have a 2K-2 or later, it has series filaments, so you can not run on one tube.

73 de Jim, W2XO

If you have a later version (2K-2 or later), the filaments are in series, so  you can't operate with one tube.