[Amps] The things that make you smile

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] The things that make you smile
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2019 14:53:58 -0400
Small thing but a fun win... Noise
cancelling headphones on so I hear no fan
from the amp. Looked at the watts out &
see I'm barefoot. Looked over, amp is dead
(always a bad sign).

1st thing, yes, power is present. 2nd
thing, check fuses; one is dead but notice
the fuse comes out with some small
difficulty. Look closely & see a small bit
of oxidation. Replace the fuse & nothing.
had a feeling and wiggled the cap & sure
enough, it's an intermittent. A photo of
the interior of the holder shows it's
oxidised & the spring is shot. Must have
been a really resistive junction when it
was working... needed to replace the fuse
holder.

Nothing on hand is short enough to fit in
the SX, power resistor in the way. One of
the few remaining parts stores is fairly
close & they had a holder that fitted &
got more fuses just in case. A minor
hassle of disassembly getting the old
holder out & the new one in. While digging
into it, I replaced the NTE9762 24V
voltage regulator with a NTE1956 as was
was earlier advised. Cleaned & deoxited
the boards & relays. Replaced two meter
lights & sonofagun, it's working like a
charm.

Total cost about $14 in parts & the better
part of an afternoon/evening to get & do
everything. Back in operation the same day
& done cheap.

It's the little things...

73,

Gary