Re: [Amps] SB-220 HV Transformer Wanted ; thread stolen for bias questio

To: "'Gary Schafer'" <garyschafer@largeriver.net>, "'Joe Subich, W4TV'" <lists@subich.com>, "'Joe'" <nss@mwt.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB-220 HV Transformer Wanted ; thread stolen for bias question
From: "Mark Bitterlich" <markbitterlich@embarqmail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2019 09:30:09 -0400
Hi Gary, thanks for your reply.

Yes, I was around when regulations were based on input power (1968) and have
heard your explanation before but I tend to question it simply because the
Henry 3K and 8K series of amps also came stock with the CW/SSB selection and
either of those two could easily exceed 1000 watts DC input in the CW
position.  FSK and AM modes were also advised to use CW and not SSB modes
possibly with plate dissipation limits in mind as well as legal issues of
input power.

But based on the typical pair of 3-500's say in the 3K original designs, in
CW mode idling current was 90-120 ma, and in the higher plate voltage SSB
position  170-220 ma.

My logic was simply:

Bias controls the class of amplifier.
A change in bias means the class of amplification must have also changed.
Switching from CW to SSB causes an indicated bias change from 120 ma to 220
ma.
The impact of a bias change of  120 to 220 ma would lead me to believe that
the class of amplifier shifted slightly in a more linear direction with also
the result of slightly lower efficiency.

Right or wrong or maybe just trivial ...  if wrong could you please explain
your logic?

Mark
Wa3jpy