Re: [Amps] Changing class of operation with BIAS

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Changing class of operation with BIAS
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2019 19:54:35 -0400

If you increase plate voltage alone, which results in a higher plate current with no signal applied, are you indeed changing the bias? Yes
or no.
No.  You are changing the operating point (operating conditions) but
not the bias (unless the bias is generated by a voltage drop across
a cathode resistor).

In general, in a triode increasing late voltage will increase the
idle current, increase the conduction angle of the tube and move the operating point more toward class A (class being defined by conduction
angle).

On the other hand, in a triode, increasing the grid bias will decrease
the idle current, decrease the conduction angle and move the operating
point closer to cut-off (class B or class C).

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV