Re: [Amps] Changing class of operation with BIAS

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Changing class of operation with BIAS
From: donroden@hiwaay.net
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2019 09:06:02 -0500
And in broadcast applications, I have always preferred to run higher plate voltage and less plate current for a given output wattage for longer tube life. ( tubes with handles )

Don W4DNR

Quoting Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>:

So you are not changing the bias, even though resting current has changed, but you are changing the conduction angle and thus the class of operation (triode). Question: How can you change the class of operation and conduction angle with
no change to bias. I apologize, but I am confused.

You got a lot of answers, a lot of words, some or all correct, but not
what I think you were looking for.

A tube (triode for example) is like a ball valve in a water pipe.  You
can change the flow by cutting it almost off with the valve, but you
can increase the flow by increasing the pressure into it or the
suction pulling water out of it.  A tube (called a "valve" in Britain
not coincidentally) has all kinds of ways of changing its behavior
besides bias.  Increasing the plate v. alone is like increasing the
suction on the water coming out of the valve.  Higher positive v.
exerts an even stronger attractive force on the negatively charged
electrons boiling off the cathode, in spite of the grid v.   This
pulls more of them to the anode past the grid and the anode to cathode
current increases.

73
Rob
K5UJ