[Amps] Resolved - Re: Lightning strike - Alpha 77Sx grid issue

To: Amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Resolved - Re: Lightning strike - Alpha 77Sx grid issue
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2019 02:30:32 -0500
Folks,

Thanks for the on & off list replies. I'd
checked out the push switch, resistors
relating to the grid & ALC circuits. All
were fine in the CB-2 Control board. All
the caps were WNL. The diodes were all
responding normally except D211 which
offered a beep in each direction with the
DVM so I was on the right track

Removed the diode and it was fine out of
the circuit but it shouldn't have done
that so looking at the 2N304 transistors,
rather than test each one with the DVM, I
just pulled and replaced them. Since I had
the board out, I replaced Q202 (MJE802)
using a liquid metal thermal compound for
better heat transfer instead of the
original paste compound), I'd already done
that with the 24V regulator a few months
back. 2nd step was replacing Q203 (2N3904)
as that diode connects to 203's base,
retested the diode and it now properly
only passed in one direction.

I assume that was the only problem but as
mentioned, I replaced all the inexpensive
2N3904 transistors related to ALC & Grid,
put everything back, fired her up and now
the ALC works as expected and the grid
current is reading properly as well.

Yesterday when I did the sleuthing &
repair it was my Birthday, so fixing it,
'twas a nice present I gave myself. :)

Thanks again for those who offered
suggestions.

73,