Re: [Amps] SB220 Meter blown

To: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>, "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB220 Meter blown
From: Adrian <vk4tux@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2020 22:17:34 +1000
I would rather follow Rich's advice on the subject as per my previous link. contained withjin ;

"It may take more than one diode to protect a meter shunt resistor. A silicon diode begins to conduct at a forward voltage of about 0.5V. To avoid affecting meter accuracy, the operating voltage per glitch protection diode should not exceed 0.5V. For example, a 1 ohm shunt, at a reading of 1A full-scale, has 1V across it. Thus, two protection diodes in series would be needed to preserve meter accuracy. Similarly, if the shunt resistor for a 1A full-scale meter is 1.5 ohm, the maximum shunt voltage is 1.5V--so three diodes are needed.

Glitch protection diodes should not be petite. Big, ugly diodes with a peak current rating of 200a or more are best. Smaller diodes--and the meter they were supposed to be protecting--can be destroyed during a glitch. Suitable glitch protection diodes are 1N5400 (50PIV) to 1N5408 (1000PIV). In this application, PIV is not important. The 1N5400 family of diodes is rated at 200a for 8.3mS.

During an extremely high current surge, a glitch protection diode may short out--and by so doing protect the precious parts. Replacing a shorted protection diode instead of a kaput meter is almost fun."

ref; http://www.somis.org/D-amplifiers2.html

Once a petite signal diode blows apart it is no longer protecting the meter.

No need to yell Rob.