Re: [Amps] Push pull amps

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Push pull amps
From: Ron W4BIN Youvan <ka4inm@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2020 21:08:22 -0400
   Tom W7WHY Osborne Sr. wrote:

I recently purchased some QST's from '47, 49, and 50.  I notice a lot of
transmitters and amps back then used 2 tubes in push-pull circuits, instead
of parallel, like we mostly do now.

What was the idea behind push pull compared to parallel, and when did the
change take place?  Thanks and 73

Push pull is not gone, most rice boxes use a push pull final amplifiers to this day.
        Pros
1. Ease of neutralization (if you know how, it is called cross neutralization) 2. Automatically suppresses (cancels out) the second harmonic. (and fourth … ) 3. If biased properly class "B" operation is the most overall efficient mode.

        Cons
1. Bandswitching tube amplifiers is cumbersome, requiring center tapped coils
        and dual (ganged) tuning capacitors.  (Wideband transistor amplifiers
need
        only wideband transformers.)
--
  Ron  W4BIN - Understanding is much better than
                                    knowing how.