[Amps] Junk Connectors, Junk Coax

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Junk Connectors, Junk Coax
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2021 11:49:15 -0700
On 4/8/2021 7:06 AM, Chris Wilson wrote:
I am now slowly changing out all UHF Chinese junk to branded N types

Junk connectors are a scourge. In North America, if it isn't vintage MIL spec or Amphenol, it's junk. I learned this the hard way. When getting back on the air in 2003 after 20+ years off, I stocked up with lots of those cheap adapters from hamfest vendors. Over the next six years, they cause me no end of grief. Some fell apart, some overheated with power during a contest because the center conductor in an elbow was a tiny spring, some caused exactly the sort of intermittent or power handling problem that Frank is experiencing.

There is ZERO need for any thing better than a well-installed 83-1SP (no suffix) below 2M. The hand wringing about non-constant impedance is the result of a failure to understand transmission line fundamentals. Nearly all of my coax (except for RG400 jumpers) is foam, and I've never had an issue with it melting because I use good quality coax from known factories, I use a quality iron and a good bench vise to hold the work, and coax is all Belden, Commscope, or Davis RF. I have nothing sold as "LMR400 equivalent." And I have a lot of hard line.