Re: [Amps] Amps Digest, Vol 220, Issue 21

To: <ah7i@gatech.edu>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Amps Digest, Vol 220, Issue 21
From: "Doug Ronald" <doug@dougronald.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 17:34:21 -0700
> If you excite the winding on one leg of the core, the flux passes through
all three legs.
That's precisely why the 3rd leg should have its windings shorted - to keep
the flux out of that leg.

> Core saturation will reduce the kVA rating to very roughly, 1/3 of the 3
phase rating.
I doubt core saturation is an issue unless someone is passing DC through the
windings. Most likely these multi-kilowatt transformers were 208 VAC 3-phase
primaries, so if core saturation is your fear on 240 VAC, connect the two
legs' primaries in series. Connect the secondary in either series or
parallel depending on the potential desired. With the secondary in series,
you will have a center tapped transformer perfect for a two diode full-wave
rectifier.
-W6DSR