[Amps] KPA1500 Efficiency vs. RF-Kit B26

To: Amps Reflector <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] KPA1500 Efficiency vs. RF-Kit B26
From: "Bob Wilson, N6TV" <n6tv@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 18:55:59 -0700
On Sat, Jul 10, 2021 at 10:36 AM jim.thom jim.thom@telus.net <
jim.thom@telus.net> wrote:

> Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2021 14:50:40 -0400
> From: <john@kk9a.com>
> To: <amps@contesting.com>
> Subject: Re: [Amps] FT8 power with the KPA1500
>

> <From an amplifier heating standpoint it probably makes very little
> <difference what power level you use with an Elecraft KPA1500. See the
> <Elecraft post on efficiency in the link below. I am not an amp guru but I
> <believe SPE Expert amps have different PA voltages which increases their
> <lower power efficiency.
>
> <http://mailman.qth.net/pipermail/elecraft/2018-August/259502.html
>
> <73,
> <John KK9A
>

> ###  Per the link above, the KPA-1500  only makes  51.9% eff   at  1.5 kw
> output.  The german B26 amp is  70% eff at 1.5 kw.

The 51.9% efficiency appears to be worst case at 1500W output.

The efficiency of the KPA1500 (Pout / Pin) varies from amplifier to
amplifier and from band to band.

The same may be true of the RF-Kit B26, but I have no way to measure one.
If someone on this list does have one, please post numbers.

I just measured the efficiency of two KPA1500s at 1500W out on the six main
contest bands, and here is the result.

*Band*       *KPA1500 A*        *KPA1500 B*
160m          52%              59%
 80m          60               60
 40m          50               54
 20m          60               62