Re: [Amps] Henry hum on transmitted signal

To: Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Henry hum on transmitted signal
From: Mark Bitterlich via Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2023 17:08:40 -0400
Steve Katz mentioned:"What does the HV indicate in standby, transmit (no drive,
just idling) and key-down at full power? This is key to determining if it's
actually a power supply problem."It is also key in determining if you're
experiencing voltage drop at the wall outlet where the amp is plugged in. IMHO
you need to somehow listen to your own signal, so as to listen to it with a
pure carrier versus listening to it with modulation. Yes, a bad filter cap in
the power supply can cause this, but so can a florescent light near the
microphone wiring, or even a radio sitting directly on top of a 12 volt power
supply. Dive bombing a problem like this can become expensive relying on others
to reply to: "Can you hear it now?"  Beg/borrow/build another was to see
(scope) or listen to your transmitted signal. This will eminate a lot of
"possibilities", and give you a path forward, while learning in the process. De
wa3jpy-------- Original message --------From: Steven Katz <stevek@jmr.com>
Date: 9/3/23  4:47 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: r-emails@n5ot.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Henry hum on transmitted signal What does the HV indicate
in standby, transmit (no drive, just idling) and key-down at full power?This is
key to determining if it's actually a power supply problem.-----Original
Message-----From: Amps <amps-bounces@contesting.com> On Behalf Of
r-emails@n5ot.comSent: Sunday, September 3, 2023 3:38 PMTo:
amps@contesting.comSubject: [Amps] Henry hum on transmitted signalI see there
was no content in my messages the first time around.  I'm not sure what the
problem is, but the workaround is to use a different email program.  Here's
what I wrote:- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Greetings,I have a Henry 2K-4A
console, and when I use it on the air, a few people have told me my signal is
not pure.  One described AC hum on both sides of my signal frequency.  Another
friend said I had "sidecars."My conclusion is I need to replace the big
(oil-filled) capacitor in the power supply.  I have a friend with an older
Henry, I think it was a2K-3 console, who had a similar-sounding issue, and he
says he changed his big capacitor in the power supply, but it didn't really fix
the problem.  He sold the amp and I got the capacitor that didn't fix his
problem.Two questions:1. Am I looking in the right direction or the wrong
direction?  Any other PS due diligence I need to do?  Any Henry 2K-4A-specific
anecdotes in the brain trust?2. My Henry has the factory capacitor from the
1970s, which is 20uf @5000 volts.  The replacement I have says "replacement for
Henry capacitor" but the values are 16uf @ 7500 volts.  It's close to the same
physical size but not exactly the same size.  It has a 2019 date stamp.Guidance
appreciated.73 N5OT