[antennaware] shortened radials - verticals ??

To: <antennaware@contesting.com>
Subject: [antennaware] shortened radials - verticals ??
From: nw9g@netusa1.net (W9SN)
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 22:20:45 -0500
I am in the process of building several vertical systems.  There is many
opinions
about elevated radials compaired to many ground laid ones.  I want to
find out for
myself.  However the thought of 66' and 33 ft long wires at 10 ft high
and 20 ft
high and there supports don't appeal to me or the wife.  Has anyone come
up with
a sucessful "shortened" elevated radial that would support itself.  I
see that
cushcraft has done something on this line with the R-5 antenna.  By the
way these
are 1/4 wave verticals that need electical 1/4 wave radials.  If this
works, then
I will be doing this on my 40 meter 4 square, 2 ele 30 meter array and
my future
80 meter array.  Thanks for any thoughts, if it proves good, I will
share with the
group.....73
                                Steve Narducci
                        Amateur Radio Station -  W9SN