[antennaware] Re: Antennaware Antenna Modeling Digest V4#24

To: <antennaware@contesting.com>
Subject: [antennaware] Re: Antennaware Antenna Modeling Digest V4#24
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2002 11:49:54 -0500
At 11:34 AM 2/2/02 EST, K7LXC@aol.com wrote:
>> From: mdg <mdg@idirect.com>
>>  Subject: [antennaware] antenna analyzers
>>
>>  I'm about to purchase my next antenna analyzer (used to use the MFJ) and
>>  just wondering if anyone has any experience with Autek instruments; they
>>  don't seem to offer anything more than those of AEA and cost 50% less
>>  (compared to the cheaper one from AEA) ... .
>
>    IMO over 80% of the guys are using the MFJ. If you want more specific
>info, post your question on TowerTalk - the tower and HF antenna
construction
>reflector. Let me know if you need subscribe info.

"The MFJ" probably needs some further definition, too.  From what I
understand, the 259B is a quantum leap over its predecessor.

I have the Autek RF-1 and find it very handy because of its small size, but
for anything much beyond simple SWR setting it is of limited value because
it measures Z rather than R +/- X.  Autek has a fancier version (the VA1)
which purports to do all this, give the sign of X and work with other than
50 ohm lines.  It may be a good thing, but...

I would never touch an Autek again because of their lousy attitude toward
customer service.

73, Pete N4ZR

Sometimes a tower is
just a tower