[Antennaware] Boom Support Guys

To: <antennaware@contesting.com>
Subject: [Antennaware] Boom Support Guys
From: regates at kingwoodcable.com (Bob Gates)
Date: Sat Jul 5 20:50:30 2003
Got to thinking, which is usually where I get into trouble.  But on the subject
of support guys for yagi/quad booms, I've only seen two types over the years.
For lateral support, wires are run from near the end of the boom to, say, the
ends of six foot crossbar mounted to the boom at the mast, or to the mast
itself.  For vertical support, wires are run from the ends to the boom to the
mast at some point above the boom.  This is six lengths of wire, and one area
remains unsupported, that of torque on the boom which can occur to some degree.
What I was thinking of was this, and it's kind of hard to describe:  For the
moment, consider the diameter of the boom to be 0", and envision the boom as
viewed from overhead and oriented as a vertical line.  You would install a
crossbar near each end of the boom that is approximately 2' long.  You then
install a crossbar on the mast, approximately 6' long and mounted about 3' above
the boom.  Run a guy wire from the left end of the top crossbar to the right end
of the mast mounted bar, then another line from this point to the left end of
the bottom crossbar.  Repeat the process for the right side, i.e. from the right
end of the top crossbar to the left end of the mast mounted crossbar, and then
to the right end of the bottom crossbar.  Now you've used four wires to support
the boom laterally, vertically and to prevent torque.   Does this make any
sense?

Regards,
Bob
KG&KW