[Antennaware] RE: Hygain Hy-tower

To: <antennaware@contesting.com>
Subject: [Antennaware] RE: Hygain Hy-tower
From: Dennis Ashworth <K7FL@ARRL.NET>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 11:18:23 -0700
Good suggestion Rex, and I had actually considered the same here.

My initial thought was to use the config you described and connect the center of each output port to the appropriate place on an 8 Micro Henry inductor to achieve resonance on a desired frequency. The top of the inductor would tie to the 80M whip (on a modified Hy-Tower) which is self resonant at 3.950 ... the bottom end of the coil floats. So I would be simply adding sufficient series inductance to move resonance to the desired spot within the band. I computed the voltage across the coil at 1.5KW and it approaches 800V. I wasn't sure the Ameritron RCV-8 relays would take that potential with acceptable margin. I figured I was better off using a couple of RJ1A vacuum relays.

You might do okay if running barefoot, or if the switch is only connected to the bottom of the loading coil and you progressively short turns. All that being said, if I didn't want to build something (Gregg's original requirement), I'd give it a try anyway.

Dennis, K7FL
Battle Ground, WA