Re: [Antennaware] Speed

To: "Alexandru" <alexander@sandlabs.com>,<antennaware@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Antennaware] Speed
From: "Guy Olinger, K2AV" <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 15:33:38 -0500
Without perhaps explaining underlying principles in quantum mechanics,
the same thing happens with sound waves and light waves, and tsunami
waves, for that matter.

You may be attempting to equate radio propagation speed with the
behavior of mass, energy and speed of objects. In the case of an
object, the only way to slow it down is to remove energy. If the
removal is dissipative (like car brakes) then you ask, where did it
get the energy to speed up.

The problem is that propagation of radio is not outward movement of
particles. The atoms in the wire of either antenna remain in their
respective wires, the collection of electrons involved in the current
remains local.

The speed in the coax has to do with how quickly a change in the
charge state of one atom can induce the same change in the atom next
to it, in the context of whatever influence exerted by surrounding
material.

If I recall this correctly, the speed of propagation down a one atom
thick wire in space is right at c.

Where the electrons are emitted into space (as in a vacuum tube),
their speed does vary according to pull on them (positive voltage on
plate anode) or push on them (negative voltage on control grid). In
this case your mental image works as we are talking about force acting
upon the mass, however slight, of an electron literally moving across
space.

73, Guy