Re: [Antennaware] [Propagation] Cubical Quad antenna model forVOACAP???

To: "Anthony W. DePrato WA4JQS" <wa4jqs@mikrotec.com>,antennaware@contesting.com, propagation@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Antennaware] [Propagation] Cubical Quad antenna model forVOACAP???
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 06:44:34 -0400
At 06:53 PM 5/13/06, you wrote:

>>          Don, I doubt there would be much
>>difference between a 3 element Yagi and
>>a Quad.
>

>Sorry but that is not true. you would need a 3 ele yaga with 1.8
>times the boom lenght to equal 2 ele quad on an 8ft boom. I have
>built quads for 45 yrs and took down my  10,15, 20 mt 4 ele mono
>band yagis for a homebrew 4 ele quad. opens and closes the bands 30
>mins ahead of my yagis i had up.

         Tony, I think we are saying the same thing.  A 3 el
Yagi (on a 1.8 X 8' = 14.4' boom) should be very close
to a 2 el Quad on an 8' boom.  Regarding anecdotal
comparisons, I would simply note that none of the
large multi-multi stations use Quads above 80 meters
(KC1XX, W3LPL, K3LR, K9NS, etc.).  If there was really
much difference, don't you think they might use Quads?

         Back to Don's original question, the model for a
2 el Quad will not be that much different from the model
for a 3 el Yagi supplied as a part of the HamCAP front-end
for VOACAP.  We're talking very minor differences which
will be lost in the other VOACAP uncertainties.

                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV

P.S.  I built a 4 element monoband Quad for 20m in 1960.