Re: [Antennaware] Receiving Loop

To: <>, <>
Subject: Re: [Antennaware] Receiving Loop
From: "K9AY" <>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 13:26:11 -0500
> At 09:47 AM 2006-08-12, wrote:
>>I am new to the reflector and have a burning need to learn about small
>>than .1wl), shielded (coax) magnetic loops. Specifically, I would like a
>>source of design formulae (are ON4UN's accurate and complete on this
>>would like to know how distributed capacitance of the coax affects size
>>matching, would like to know how diameter of the loop and of the coax
>>characteristics of the loop, and why most designs use RG-59 coax.
>>Is there a definitive read on this subject?

> Start here:
> 73, Terry N6RY

I agree with N6RY ... and be VERY careful about some of the early ham radio
references you may find.  These loops were not well understood by the ham
community -- which is surprising since the key reference books had excellent
explanations. They are EE-level, but good info can be gleaned by an
interested semi-technical ham.

Frederick Terman, RADIO ENGINEER'S HANDBOOK, 1st. ed., 1943
John Kraus (W8JK), ANTENNAS, 1st ed.,1950
Henry Jasik, editor, ANTENNA ENGINEERING HANDBOOK, 1st. ed., 1961 (mainly
Ch.28 on Direction-Finding Antennas)

73, Gary

Antennaware mailing list