[Antennaware] Baluns for use with 450 ohm ladder line and antennatuners

To: "reflector - antenna@cont" <antennaware@contesting.com>
Subject: [Antennaware] Baluns for use with 450 ohm ladder line and antennatuners
From: "Dave, K2DP" <k2dp@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2007 23:16:56 -0500
Am considering using a balun to convert the 450 ohm ladder line feed on my
160-30 mtr inverted V antenna to coax to just get the feed line into the shack.
It appears that both DX-Engineering and Array Solutions make products
specifically for this purpose, allowing you to use a short length of coax from
the balun to the "in shack" antenna tuner. In other words, I would mount this
balun on the outside of the house at the point where the ladder line enters the
shack, then use RG-213 or equivalent coax to run from the balun to the tuner at
the station (15 feet or less).

Here's the question:  DX-Engineering recommends using a 1:1 Balun, PN
DXE-BAL050-H10-AT.  On the other hand, Array Solutions recommends their 4:1
balun, AS-200-T.

Has anyone used either of these baluns in this application and what success
have you had with them ?

Thanks and 73,
Dave, K2DP, St. Louis