Re: [Antennaware] 20m rotatable dipole configuration?

To: Paul Young <>
Subject: Re: [Antennaware] 20m rotatable dipole configuration?
From: Terry Conboy <>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 10:17:36 -0800
At 01:02 AM 2007-12-16, Paul Young G0HWC wrote:
>I am building a full size 20m rotatable dipole and wondered what others think.
>Would I be best to have it in a horizontal or in a V configuration?

Although there are no absolutes when it comes to antennas, if you
have a rotatable configuration, the straight dipole would be much
better, since it will have nice nulls off the ends and slightly more
gain broadside.  A V configuration, either drooping in the vertical
plane or all in the horizontal plane, will have only very shallow
nulls.  (This isn't a bad compromise for antenna that are fixed in

And despite some ebullient Internet sites to the contrary, a
horizontal plane V that is 1/2 wavelength overall has less gain than
a straight dipole and is bi-directional.

Make sure you use a current balun or feedline choke to prevent
feedline radiation from obscuring the dipole pattern nulls.

73, Terry N6RY

Antennaware mailing list