Re: [Antennaware] 80M loop close to ground

To: <>, <>
Subject: Re: [Antennaware] 80M loop close to ground
From: "Guy Olinger, K2AV" <>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 19:04:12 -0500
A low horizontal loop is almost entirely a high angle radiator.  At the
heights you are talking about, miscellaneous ground factors can make it lossy
and a poor performer.  Speaking anecdotally, a ham friend who had that antenna
did very poorly with it over sandy porous soil compared to his prior residence
over more "normal dirt".   But then again I can't think of an antenna on 80m
harder to make efficient than a short vertical radiator.

You may wish to consider end-feeding a bent 80m 1/2 wave against a very
minimal ground system.  If you are interested I can provide more information.

73, Guy