Re: [Antennaware] Terminated Vertical

To: "Andy Ikin" <andy@wellbrook.uk.com>, <antennaware@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Antennaware] Terminated Vertical
From: "K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 15:05:00 -0600
Andy,

Some time ago, I also did extensive modeling of resistive-loaded verticals,
hoping to find a configuration that had good broadband characteristics and
moderate loss, or at least a method of construction that simplifies the
matching network -- but no luck. I did not find anything that was a
signficant improvement over a simple vertical with the input swamped with a
resistor.

In the process, I did discover an antenna with a good hemispherical pattern
(omnidirectional in both azimuth and elevation) -- two K9AY Loops placed
side-by side (in parallel, spaced several feet apart), oriented in opposite
directions and fed with 180 deg. phase shift. This might be useful for
something, since hemispherical patterns are typically hard to obtain.

73, Gary
K9AY