[Antennaware] 4 Sq. Verses 3 El endfire

To: <antennaware@contesting.com>
Subject: [Antennaware] 4 Sq. Verses 3 El endfire
From: "Andrew Ikin" <andrew.ikin@btopenworld.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 20:34:25 +0100
Hello Guys

Having struggled to model an 3 element endfire Active Vertical array using the
same Phasing lines from 0.53MHz to 2.12MHz. I find that I can achieve a very
good elevation plot with very low rear lobes (-30dB). Even the plot at 2.65MHz
only shows 2 small (-22dB) rear lobes!!!  Also this model is very tolerant of
several dB amplitude difference on the outer elements providing that the centre
element is the sum of the 2 outer ones.

I have tried to do the same with the 4 Square, but there is always a large rear
lobe on the elevation plot 10-15dB higher than the 3 element endfire, no matter
how I adjust the phase. Am I doing something wrong or is there a fundamental
problem with the 4 Square?!

Both arrays have 40m Element spacing.

73

Andrew G8LUG (not active)