Re: [Antennaware] 4 Sq, verses 3 El endfire

To: "Andrew Ikin" <andy@wellbrook.uk.com>
Subject: Re: [Antennaware] 4 Sq, verses 3 El endfire
From: "K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 09:12:27 -0500
Andy,

One of the minor drawbacks of a 4-square is the high angle rear lobe you are
seeing. With optimal phasing, you should be able to get a pattern where that
rear lobe is down 25 dB or more. This may, or may not, be acceptable for
your performance objectives.

[This is one of the reasons my future plans include a 4-sq of K9AY loops
instead of the simpler verticals. The built-in F/B of the loops virtually
eliminates the back lobe, resulting in a very high array F/B.]

73, Gary
K9AY