Re: [Antennaware] RF relay switching problem

To: "Paris Andreou" <parisand@spidernet.com.cy>, <antennaware@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Antennaware] RF relay switching problem
From: "Guy Olinger, K2AV" <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 13:57:52 -0500
At 160 meters the antenna is an 1/8 wave and need base inductive loading.
On 80 meters it's at or near 1/4 wave resonance.  On 40 meters it's an
end-fed half wave, with a *very* high Z feed. It is likely 2K ohms or more.
At 1.5 kw RF hat's over 1.7 kv RMS or approximately 5kv peak to peak, and
going up.

The relays, coils and caps you are using need to be rated worst case current
for 20 amps (160m)  and worst case voltage for 10 kv (40m)

I've end-fed an 80m half wave "L", lower Z than end-feeding  and the
voltages at high power easily jumped the distance between the barrel and
center conductor of an SO-239.  That's 1/8 inch. I quit arcing when *all*
the distances for possible arc jumps between anything and anything exceeded
1/4 inch, including the air tuning cap.  Arcing at 1.5 kw was capable of
destroying anything (and did, including 6 TPI 3 inch diameter #10 wire coil
stock) once the arc got started.

When the air was damp, it would arc easier.  When the tuner wasn't inside
(e.g. just inside a window or basement wall), it took vacuum relays properly
rated at those kinds of voltages to handle end-feeding a halfwave.

You would lower the extreme voltages on 40 a good deal by adding another
8-10 feet to get away from  the exact halfwave.

73, Guy.