Re: [Antennaware] Help! Which One ?

To: Robert Kirkland <alpha76@triton.net>
Subject: Re: [Antennaware] Help! Which One ?
From: Terry Conboy <n6ry@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 16:37:37 -0700
Of course, SteppIR also has a loading coil that gives you coverage
across all of 80m and 60m with the BigIR vertical.  The efficiency might
suffer a little (maybe 1-3 dB) compared to the higher bands since the
radiator is only about 1/8 wl on 80m, but it's probably a good
compromise, especially if you don't skimp on the radials.

Both the dipole and Super Loop (from Radioworks?) will have a variety of
lobes on the higher bands which can be hit or miss for specific paths.
The vertical has the advantage of a nice low angle omni pattern
(assuming no major nearby obstacles such as stucco houses or dense
trees).  The gain of a vertical will probably be a bit lower than the
peaks of the lobes from the dipole or loop on the higher bands, but then
it will be higher compared to their many nulls.  On the low bands
(80-40) a vertical with a good ground system can probably outperform the
dipole and loop for DX if they are under 3/8 wavelength above ground and
help keep the clouds warm.

I wouldn't put much faith in the mystical noise rejection property of
loop antennas on receive.  There may be situation where they are (when
there is nearby lightning), but those are times I would unplug my
antennas and ground everything!  For an explanation, check out:
http://www.w8ji.com/k9ay_flag_pennant_ewe.htm

Also, don't put much faith in Radioworks gain claims.  Their ads were
written by salesmen, after all.

73, Terry N6RY