Re: [Antennaware] 3.78 Mhz 4 square with vertical 1/2 dipole

To: Natale Borghetti <i5nph@i5nph.net>
Subject: Re: [Antennaware] 3.78 Mhz 4 square with vertical 1/2 dipole
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 15:14:15 -0400
A couple of quick things.

The model will be sensitive to ground type.  Mininec ground or
"perfect" ground will not work.  Use high accuracy ground that matches
your target location.

Model your tower as accurately as you can including any beams up top.
This will interact with that antenna.

At the bottom of the tower, add a load.  This will simulate the
resistance from the bottom of the tower to ground at RF.  Vary that
resistance widely and see if the impedance, etc varies with it.  If it
does, then you are going to have to tune that antenna after you put it
up and will most likely not be able to do any better than get it
somewhat close.  Knowing what the bottom of the antenna looks like at
RF is nearly impossible.

The Comtek figure is based on experience, and is more likely to be right.

73, Guy.