Re: [Antennaware] Modding the 6M Cushcraft A505S?

To: <Gary@ka1j.com>, <antennaware@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Antennaware] Modding the 6M Cushcraft A505S?
From: "John Kaufmann" <jkaufmann@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2016 15:58:00 -0400
I've used both the A505S and the 6M5XHP.  I don't there is anything in the
Cushcraft that prevents it from accepting 1500W.  It has a gamma match and
not a balun.

The 6M5XHP is a much higher quality product.  The gain difference isn't that
much (1.5 dB more gain for the M2) but the quality of the M2 hardware is
vastly superior to Cushcraft.  The elements on my A505S were all crooked on
the boom because the mounting clamps were not square.  Also the A505S
factory dimensions do not produce a very good pattern at the low end of 50
MHz where the DX is.  I got a set of modified dimensions for the A505S from
W1JR, which greatly improved the pattern.

If you can swing it, go for the 6M5XHP.

73, John W1FV