Re: [Antennaware] 160 meter FCP

To: AntennaWare <antennaware@contesting.com>, Everett Sharp <everettsharp@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Antennaware] 160 meter FCP
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <k2av.guy@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2017 19:56:30 +0000
Hi Everett,

Have you read k2av.com [Placing an FCP] ? And had a look at k2av.com [Loss
List] ?

An FCP’s most important aspect is avoiding loss factors. Going through
bushes or through tree branches puts very high magnetic fields right next
to wood, inducing dielectric loss in the wood. Insulation keeps it from
shorting, maybe, but only increases loss.

Use #12 bare wire and #11 standard wall Teflon tubing pushed over it if you
absolutely *must* route the FCP that way (decidedly *not* recommended).
Note that the voltages on the last fold, closest to the insulated end of
the FCP, get pretty high. See the section on 160-80 dual banding which
refers to the voltages on the FCP at QRO.

Note that the web page recommends a five foot radius tunnel (10 foot
diameter) free of vegetation and other dielectric materials around the FCP.

Uneven height above ground is not an issue. The *minimum* height above
ground along the FCP’s length is an issue. Keep the FCP in the plane at
right angles to the vertical wire, at the same altitude above sea level,
regardless of terrain.

Remember you are *fighting loss* which hamdom at large seems mostly unaware
of. Think of “death by a thousand paper cuts” as you work on loss. A bunch
of small avoidances can add up to a big one.

73, Guy K2AV