WPX time

Subject: WPX time
From: siegrist@memory.enet.dec.com (237-2993 01-Apr-1992 1413)
Date: Wed Apr 1 11:07:58 1992
  Hello folks,

  An implicit assumption being made about operating time in WPX is that the
  majority of folks in the contest actually know and follow the rules.  It
  is my belief that at least half the folks in the contest (including me)
  don't know the rules, and in fact don't care.  I am not going to win, and
  in general do not turn in any scores.  I don't worry about how many hours I
  operate,  how long I am on a band before QSY for something spotted on
  another etc. etc.

  My point:  As several have alluded to, I have other obligations, and cannot
  be around the full 48 hours of any contest.  I have to pick and choose.  I
  would guess that half the folks worked in the contest are the same way
  (as evidence, check how many reports on Sunday afternoon had a serial
  number under 200).  I would suggest leaving the contest at 48 hours.  If
  you want to change the way winners are selected, awards given etc., based
  on 24 hour time periods, no problem.  But if you shorten the hours of the
  contest, you will also lower the number of folks like me who have opportunity
  to participate.

  In the end you could easily end up with the same core of folks each year
  working each other. (again as evidence: check your logs in the last few
  sprints)

  dave  /nt1u

  address: something like "decwrl::memory::siegrist"