Create rotators

Subject: Create rotators
From: RJA@utrc.utc.com (RICH)
Date: Fri May 29 17:25:00 1992
I've had a Create RC5B-3 up for 5 years now with no trouble.  For each of the
first two years before then I ate up a Tailtwister... so it's obvious the
Create RC5B-3 is a more rugged rotator.  Just looking at the gears will
give you the impression that Ham-X rotators use wrist watch gears.  I have
noticed that in strong winds there will be times that the antenna will stall
due to lack of torque.  I've heard of two things that the Create rotors seem
to be lacking in.  One is that the indicator motor is prone to failure
but it can be replaced, and the other is the experience of three guys that
have had water accumulate in their rotator, causing extensive rusting of the
gears and the potentiometer.  The failure of the pot is what caused them to
take the rotator down and to observe this condition.  The verdict is not out
(at least to my knowledge) as to whether the water is a result of condensation
(there does not seem to be any way o
(there does not seem to be any ventilation in the rotator) or whether it is
the result of a poor seal in the cable connection.  I have not experienced
this problem, at least to my knowledge.  All in all, it's a really nice
package.  Oh, and K2EK has failed his RC5B-3, but it was with a 3-el 40 and
a pretty big 20.  I use it with a KLM 6-el 15, Cushcraft 4-el 10 and a
Hy-Gain 204BA 4-el 20.  I do have a thrust bearing and I strongly recommend
it (I don't think K2EK had a thrust bearing but I'm not sure).  And if you
can, pick or modify your antenna(s) so they have symmetric wind loading, that
will really reduce the wear and tear on your rotator, no matter which one
you use.
                                 -- Rich K1CC