FD rates

Subject: FD rates
From: GARLOUGH@TGV.COM (Trey Garlough)
Date: Wed Jul 1 10:04:09 1992
> During tear down at FD we got into a discussion of what sort of maximum
> rates are possible during FD on CW.  You really seem to be limited
> by the low skill level of the stations you work.

Some years back, WB5VZL and I were having a similar conversation
about what kind of rates were possible in Field Day, what with the
lid factor and all.

So as a proof of concept (or whatever you choose to call it),
WB5VZL, KM5X and I fired up N5TR in the 1987 Field Day with one
transmitter, a KW and beams in the Northern Texas section and
made a lot of contacts.  After the event Geroge and I thought
"that was interesting," so the next year we did it all over again,
except with five watts.  This was interesting as well.

Anyhow, the numbers by hour and band for the 1987 effort are included
below for the stout of heart.

--Trey

        3.5-S   7S      14S     14C     21S     28S     TOTAL

18Z                     153              48              201
19Z                     198                              198
20Z                      93              46              139
21Z                     181                              181
22Z                     173                              173
23Z                      88             124              212
00Z              10              47      31      59      147
01Z              21     111                              132
02Z              29      39                      71      139
03Z              89                              33      122
04Z                     160                              160
05Z              27      25      38              15      105
06Z             160                                      160
07Z             158                                      158
08Z     132      34                                      166
09Z      53     105                                      158
10Z             147                                      147
11Z             121                                      121
12Z               3     191                              194
13Z                     110              69              179
14Z                                     185              185
15Z                                     209              209
16Z                                      93      51      144
17Z                                     195              195
total   185     904     1622     85     1000    229     3925
2M packet                                                 82
TOTAL                                                   4007