Upcoming DXAC vote on DX Operating Practices

Subject: Upcoming DXAC vote on DX Operating Practices
From: price@cod.nosc.mil (James N. Price)
Date: Sat Aug 1 09:51:53 1992
-------
>When working by call areas, the recommendation to the
>DXpedition operator is to ignore portable designation and
>recognize only call sign prefix numbers. For example, if KC1AG
>were in San Diego he would call with the [W1s] not with [W6s] or
>BOTH the W1s and W6s. The report states this particular
>recommendation is likely to be controversial. However, they
>point out the rampant abuse of the portable designation as the
>rationale for their suggestion. (Any comments?)

Ya, recommend that the DX operators work NO MORE THAN 10 stations
in a given call district at a time, and move on to the next one.
This business of waiting for an hour worth of W2s, then 3s, etc.
is ridiculous, and often results in loss of the path between
wherever the DXer is and some percentage of the folks calling.
Kiyoko, T31KY et al, did an excellent job of this and it
really relieved much of the stress and frustration associated with
going by call districts.  People would be less inclined to throw
in the /6 or whatever if they knew they'd have a chance in their
own district in a few minutes.

Also, is the DXAC going to reconsider the SV/A op. of DJ6SI now
that Monk Apollo has written his "open letter to the ARRL?"  I'd
surely hate to see SV/A essentially removed from the list because
of this kind of bad blood.  (and besides, I haven't work it yet!)

73--Jim, K6ZH
-------