AA5BT & EQUALIZED DX Contest

Subject: AA5BT & EQUALIZED DX Contest
From: sylvan@skatter.usask.ca (Sylvan Katz)
Date: Fri Oct 30 13:04:47 1992
Derek:

Very interesting observations. In many ways I agree with what you have
to say but - and there always is a but you say

> The one thing you can't do anything about is geographical location.
> You don't expect to win WAE from the west coast or the JA contests
> from the east coast.  Perhaps this can be addressed by having separate
> score listings for each third of the country (or each call area, or
> even each state).

I see no reason why one should not expect to be able to win WAE from
the west coast - I agree that you may not be able to make as many
QSO's from there as you can from the east coast BUT and here is the
BUT surely an equalized scoring system could, at least partially, get
around this problem - n'est pas? Does one really have to suffer a
penalty for choosing to live where family, friends and job are
situated?

> If you really care about winning but not about improving
> your station to do it, then (a) choose the right contest to enter,
> and/or (b) move :-)

I agree that choosing the right contest is a goo move. Would you like
to suggest which one of the current DX contest would be ideal for VE5
land? Do we really have to be satisfied with the status quo - can't we
figure out a new exciting and fun alternative to take us into the next
century?

As for moving I am ready - all I need is a life-time interest free
loan and then P40 HERE I COME!

SYLVAN
VE5ZX