Equalizing Contests

Subject: Equalizing Contests
From: Doug.Grant@analog.com (Doug.Grant@analog.com)
Date: Sat Oct 31 01:55:00 1992
I think a few points have emerged from the running discussion.

1. Success in contesting is determined by operator ability, equipment,
location, adaptability to propagation, and several other variables.

2. Contesters lacking any of the above want to find ways to "equalize" what
they lack.

3. Everyone wants to win.

4. Only "on-site" events (like WRTC) come close to equalizing the major
variables.

Now let me add a little fuel to the fire...

THIS IS ONLY A HOBBY!! Never forget that! If you want to compete seriously, it
will require elevating the hobby above that status in your life. You will need
to spend time and money that could/should be otherwise directed in order to
beat other fanatics who have taken this as seriously as you want to. If you
want to compete in DX COntests, you will not be able to from Minnesota or
Oklahoma. If you want to win SS, you cannot live in New ENgland. With only
rare exceptions, these are the facts of life. If you want to win CQWWfor the
world, start saving for plane fare to Aruba or Galapagos. And plan to go
several times before you get it right!

If we want to start a series of on-site contests to complement the present
offerings, great! Do it like WRTC was (and let me win....only kidding!) - the
concept is a sound one for eliminating variables other than operating skill
(most of them, anyway). What we need is someone with lots of time to organize
it.

And I was wondering who would be the selected competitors for each
country/state/town/whatever. I decided that there should be a minimum
qualifier (like holding a record or winning a plaque) , then let any qualified
individual (or team) enter. They would be responsible for their own expenses
(like WRTC). This way, only the guys who really WANT it will show up. ANd only
the really good guys would show up (poor ops would probably drop out due to
sheer embarassment).

And if you don't want to spend the time/money/lost sleep/family compromises to
compete at the top levels, then don't whine if you lose contests to those who
have made the investments. Be satisfied with improving over last year's score,
or being the top scorer in your town (which can be real hard in some towns!).

73

Doug   K1DG