QRP S-W-E-E-P-stakes

Subject: QRP S-W-E-E-P-stakes
From: price@cod.nosc.mil (James N. Price)
Date: Mon Nov 9 08:08:40 1992
-------
I got my first ever SWEEP on QRP and only the second one I've ever
had.  In fact I got the sweep at about 1900Z and seriously
considered calling it "good enough."

Totals:  467  QSOs
          77  sections
          72K points
          18  hours

Using:  Ten-Tec Argonaut, peaked and tweeked for about 4 watts
out, a TH-3 on 10/15/20, and dipoles on 40 and 80 (all at 35
feet).  I actually made 60 QSOs on 80 meters, working all the west
coast sections, and even made it to Georgia!

When I went to bed Sat. night, I needed only VE1, VE2, VY1, and
KL7.  Sunday morning I worked VE1NH early on.  Then I stumbled
across VY1JA working a K7, got the VY1 to move up and work me
(whew!).  Then ran across no fewer than 3 KL7s in the next 30
minutes.  So I went down to the bottom of 15 meters, called CQ,
and VE2UJ answered!  Talk about a near heart-attack.  I later
worked VE2FU.

Question for you big guns:  I was chastised during the contest by
a 'B' class guy for running QRP.  He said something like "you Q
guys are a real pain because the QSOs take so much time."  He then
proceeded to call "CQ SS NO Q de...."  There certainly were many
of my QSOs when stations had to ask for repeats of some info, but
there were many more where the copy was solid.  Does the fact I'm
QRP make me more likely to require repeats?  I suspect I'm louder
with my 4 watts and TH-3 on 15 meters than a guy with 100 watts
and a 40 meter dipole, for example.  I'm choosing to ignore that
shot across the bow, but I guess I'm curious if there's a general
feeling that QRPers should "go away."  I operated QRP for two
reasons:  I have an Argonaut and like to use it, and my only
chance of getting a certificate for San Diego Section is to
operate QRP.  One year I got S.W. Division, too.

Anywho--it was *great*!

--Jim, K6ZH
-------

Addressees in 'derek' are:  oo7@astro.as.utexas.edu