Call signs

Subject: Call signs
From: price@cod.nosc.mil (James N. Price)
Date: Fri Nov 13 17:48:28 1992
-------

>I fail to comprehend why FCC can't let someone else
>(like ARRL) administer choose-your-callsign.  The
>VE program has been a smashing success, so it is
>clear that the government can run a volunteer operation
>to both reduce cost and increase service.

HEAR, HEAR!!  It's an international embarrassment that the good
ol' USA is essentially the *only* country on earth where one
cannot get a special callsign, get the call you really want (if
you're willing to pay for it), etc.  I noted an earlier posting
that FCC Gettyburg has been tasked to get a new software package
to perform this function.  Perhaps the new Administration will be
more enlightened.  I'd starting writing to members of that Admin.
when they start showing up on the job.  I will.

--Jim, K6ZH

P.S.  Agreement with previous poster that a GS-whatever could
*easily* administer this function!
-------