Boston/Orlando sunrise

Subject: Boston/Orlando sunrise
From: debry@iris1.sb.fsu.edu (Ron Debry)
Date: Mon Jan 4 20:14:36 1993
Steve (N2IC/0) pointed out that the difference in sunrise between Boston and
Orlando is more like 20 minutes than 45 at CQWW SSB time.

I admit that my guess was based on eyeballing it from a greyline program.
Even so, the first half hour of the morning run is likely worth 100 or so
QSOs.  It would be interesting to run a real propagation analysis on the
relative dynamics of the band openings (but I don't have the software
to do it).

> By the way, on Dec 1, Orlando sunset is 75 minutes later than Boston.  That
> ought to be worth a few JA's on the high bands, at the expense of some EU
> on the low bands.

Unfortunately, getting a decent JA run at all on 15 from Florida is a
hit or miss thing.  K4XS, with his 4-stack, does better than we do, but
still the total number of JAs in our logs is pretty low.  I'd guess that
in over half of the phone contests I've run from N4WW I did not run JAs
at all on 15, the best I could do was S&P the loud ones.

Ron  WA6DGX
debry@sb.fsu.edu