What European operators hear...

Subject: What European operators hear...
From: larryt@ateq.com (Larry Tyree x 7210)
Date: Tue Jan 5 15:25:24 1993
Well, on 15 and 10 meters, we don't hear a lot of the local stuff.
When I was in Geneva, I thought there were no DLs on the high bands,
until I went to EA9.

What we do hear is LOUD LOUD OK and UB5 stations.  There are tons of them
and they are loud, even off the back of the antenna.  The US opening
pretty much follows the sun.  If one had big enough antennas, I guess
you could focus on the US and try to run stations.

Concerning what areas of the USA do well to Europe, W1 is king!!  However,
anywhere on the East coast is better than anywhere no on the east coast.

The only exception is during the summer when people in the north do
really well at night.  I remember one of the loudest USA signals
in the IARU contest was W7YAQ with 100 watts around my sunrise.
Then comes the ARRL 10 meter contest were I don't work Oregon at all
(YAQ is in Oregon).  I enjoy radio a lot more in the summer when I can
run Europe after the childern are in bed on 20 or 15 meters.  It is
much more fun than winter conditions.

F/N6TR