Snake Antenna

Subject: Snake Antenna
From: rbarkey@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Rita K Barkey)
Date: Wed Jan 6 19:55:42 1993
I haven't seen the article, but we have used a "snake" antenna -- an
unterminated random length of insulated wire thrown haphazardly
along the ground -- for two years during 160 meter contests at KN8Z's
place.  It works pretty well for hearing stateside stuff through
the QRM caused by the run station -- with an Icom IC-765 we are able
to get within about 5 khz of the run station with no interference
whatsoever.

(Of course, the snake and the tx antenna are about 1500 feet apart).

I hate to think about spending money on it, but it is definitely a
worthwhile antenna for the purpose we used it for.

   -- Pat
      WA8YVR
      rbarkey@magnus.ohio-state.edu