Contest alternatives (24 Hr, pins, ???)

Subject: Contest alternatives (24 Hr, pins, ???)
From: montaguj@CCMSMTP.STPAUL.NCR.COM (John Montague)
Date: Thu Mar 4 13:20:35 1993
It is important that we recognize clearly that contesting as we are
discussing it is by definition an Amateur activity!  Even so, a contest is
a product that is "bought" (engaged in; invested in; partaken of; ...) by
a set of customers (participants, every last one an amateur).  If we
accept for the purpose of analysis the product/customer analogy then some
powerful product concept design tools can be employed to analyse various
options and select a set of attributes that-- the chart below is derived
from Quality Function Deployment (QFD) and both enumerates relates
Requirements and Features.

   Requirement - a desired (by the customer) attribute/functionality
                 of a product
   Feature     - a product detail that satisfies one or more Requirement

With the ARRL DX Contest in mind,
The Contest House of Quality
----------------------------

REQUIREMENTS
____________________________
                            \
 E Increase noncompetitive   \
   or casualparticipation     \
____________________________   \
                            \   \
 D Serve noncompetitive      \   \
   or casual participant      \   \
____________________________   \   \
                            \   \   \
 C < 48 Hr competitive       \   \   \
   catagory                   \   \   \
____________________________   \   \   \
                            \   \   \   \
 B Increase competitive      \   \   \   \
   participation              \   \   \   \
____________________________   \   \   \   \
                            \   \   \   \   \
 A 48 Hour traditional       \   \   \   \   \
   full competition contest   \   \   \   \   \
____________________________   \   \   \   \   \
                            \   \   \   \   \   \
                             \   \   \   \   \   \
FEATURES                      \   \   \   \   \   \
_______________________________|___|___|___|___|___|
                               |   |   |   |   |   |
 1 Current contest design      | X |   |   | X |   |
_______________________________|___|___|___|___|___|
                               |   |   |   |   |   |
 2 "Any 24 Hour" catagory      |   |   |   | X |   |
_______________________________|___|___|___|___|___|
                               |   |   |   |   |   |
 3 Contiguous 24 Hr catagory   |   | X | X |   |   |
_______________________________|___|___|___|___|___|
                               |   |   |   |   |   |
 4 Pins for ### contacts       |   | X |   |   | X |
_______________________________|___|___|___|___|___|

The minimum set of features needed to satisfy all Requirements
is #1 + #3 + #4.  #2 does not satisfy any requirement not satisfied
by #1.

Proposed additions to current 48 Hour DX Contests:

  -  Add Contiguous 24 Hour catagory
      -- start with just one (all bands)
      -- recommend any 24 contiguous 24 Hours
  -  Award participation pins (like SS) for anyone making 200 contacts.

Respectfully,

John Montague, W0RUE