'what's your call?"

Subject: 'what's your call?"
From: ames@nebula.decnet.lockheed.com (ames@nebula.decnet.lockheed.com)
Date: Mon Mar 8 12:23:31 1993
Regarding Tom's (WB4IUx) comments of being asked "what's your call", with
my marginal 3k score perhaps I qualify in experssing the thought's of a
casual operator.  With 90 watts and an 80 meter diople just barely off the
ground, I worked only 10 meters.  I wasn't able to break thru the pile up
around many operators, but I could recognize them from their voice alone
when I tuned past them.  PJ0B certianly seemed to provide a good example of
giving one's call frequently.  It took me more than 4 hours to get that
multiplier, pheww!  The only way it seemed reasonable to break the pile-ups
is to work them before they start, and that means answering a CQ before you
are really sure of the call.  I only got nailed on one dupe from a JA1 who
I thought said he was JA9... and that he had worked me.  We must have all
heard a few of the arguements from some after being told they had already
worked them - and being told to "check your log".  The other problem was
from answering an unknown call was that it was an N9... , and he merely
asked me to QSY.

The real problem is that some of the operators are completely incoherent
in giving their calls, even if they gave them frequently.  I had to tape
their call and play it back several times, or at a reduced speed to figure
it out.  Some of the JA's were so bad, I didn't even bother.  After this
weekend, I am a believer in Voice Keyers and Tape Recorders.

For the casual operator, I recommend to answer the CQ.  If they have a
computer, they'll let you know your a dupe and you'll QSY before they
finish.  Ask for their Prefix when you give your signal/QTH report, and
tape it.  If you can't break thru a pile-up, don't assume it won't after
he asks QSL?  And don't assume that he'll repeat it in less time than
people are willing to admit.  It was a lot easier to work someone who
was reporting 59-050 than one who was either 59-1KW or 59-005.  I was
thinking that if your reports were 59-9000, which I heard, then a QSY
made more sense than a QSO.

de N2ALE/6, alan